[Shop-talk] Need to find a speed controller for a 220v 1hp motor

Dave C cavanadd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 19:52:38 MST 2017

Congratulations on the bandsaw score.  Can you give us any more info on
the saw?

The motor drive you referenced is just a VFD (variable frequency drive)
under another name.  They can't be used with single phase motors.  Only
three phase.

1 HP is a little small for a 26" saw.  I would be looking for something
in the 3 HP range.  A surplus 3 HP 240 volt three phase motor, coupled
with a generic 3 phase VFD will get  you where you need to be.  You can
run it off a 220 single phase (two pole) circuit and a 30 (or so) amp
breaker.  I'm running six three phase machines via VFDs in my shop.

As far as cutting wood and metal, I personally think it's a bad idea.
You have to change blades, and the swarf from cutting metal will
contaminate the saw and the tires, as will any lube you might use.  I've
seen and used a number of Delta and Powermatic "wood/metal" saws with
the gearbox speed reducer, and they generally are set up for either wood
or metal and left that way.

On 12/10/2017 6:44 PM, eric at megageek.com wrote:
> I was lucky enough to score a 26" bandsaw (that is not a typo!)
>
> I got it all set up and working.  The only problem is I can't find a
> speed controller for it.
>
> It has a 1hp 220vac (or 110vac) motor.  The motor works fine, but I
> wanted a speed controller so I can slow it down for metal cutting.
>
> Anyone have any leads?  All that I find on the interwebs are 1ph to 3
> ph convertors or router speed controllers that can't handle the
> 1500watts.  OR
>
> Note- before I got the machine, I was old it was a 3 phase motor, so I
> purchased this motor controller for 3 phase...
> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016VOJR66/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
>

> Does anyone know if these can be used on a 220v 1 phase motor?  (and
> if so, how?)
> The users manual (and 'super' users manual) are here, and complete...
> http://hopewindusa.com/support/ (there are two manuals in the middle
> of the page, both are for this unit.)
> But I can't figure it out.  It is way above what I thought I knew
> about AC power.
> Thanks in advance!
>

> Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
> Tech Viper
> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
> rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
> territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson

---