[Shop-talk] Need to find a speed controller for a 220v 1hp motor

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Sun Dec 10 18:44:40 MST 2017

I was lucky enough to score a 26" bandsaw (that is not a typo!)

I got it all set up and working.  The only problem is I can't find a speed
controller for it.

It has a 1hp 220vac (or 110vac) motor.  The motor works fine, but I wanted
a speed controller so I can slow it down for metal cutting.

Anyone have any leads?  All that I find on the interwebs are 1ph to 3 ph
convertors or router speed controllers that can't handle the 1500watts. OR

Note- before I got the machine, I was old it was a 3 phase motor, so I
purchased this motor controller for 3 phase...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016VOJR66/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone know if these can be used on a 220v 1 phase motor?  (and if
so, how?)
The users manual (and 'super' users manual) are here, and complete...
http://hopewindusa.com/support/  (there are two manuals in the middle of
the page, both are for this unit.)
But I can't figure it out.  It is way above what I thought I knew about AC
power.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
Waldo Emerson