[Shop-talk] new engine block flush

john niolon jniolon at att.net
Sun Aug 20 13:55:36 MDT 2017

here's one I haven't seen..

new engine 460... rebuilt about two years ago... ran it to break it in and put it on the stand. It’s in the frame now and I’m getting ready to add hoses and radiator and other 'start up' stuff.

I noticed that the hoses I used for break in showed a film of rust inside so I'm assuming the block is the same... would it be worth it to flush out the block before adding new hoses and pretty new alum radiator and antifreeze to keep everything clean from the get go ???

everything I read on block flush solutions says... heat it up first... I don’t want to/can’t do that and  end up dumping all that stuff in a new aluminum radiator...

thinking about plugging the two radiator hoses and flush thru the heater hose connections... one reason is the thermostat... it will be closed and I have to remove the distributor to take out the thermostat  AND it’s a bi*ch to get a good seal again.

someone mentioned flushing with CLR or another rust remover... wonder what that will do...

I'm not at a point to run the engine to heat it up... so ??? will a flush even make a difference on a cold engine ???

expert advise and suggestions welcomed

john