[Shop-talk] Using a stump grinder

Jim Stone 1789alpine at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 17:42:12 MDT 2017

We recently had a couple of trees cut down to improve the driveway access to my new garage.  One was fairly large and the total stump is about 2' by 3' (at some point, the tree had a second trunk).  We're getting an estimate to have the stumps ground down, but as usual, I'm considering doing it myself, even though I've never used a stump grinder before. How hard is it?  Can a 65 year old guy - in reasonably good shape for a 65 year old guy - safely handle one?  Can a basic rental unit like Home Depot carries (http://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck-rental/mobile/Stump-Grinder/SG1314B/) handle something this big in multiple passes?  And more specifically: how likely am I to regret the decision if I decide to do it?

Thanks,

Jim

Sent from my iPhone