[Shop-talk] Stubbornness and the impediments to troubleshooting

Jeff Scarbrough fishplate at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 06:20:57 MDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 8:52 PM, Jim Franklin <jamesf at groupwbench.org> wrote:
> No matter how many times my assumptions are thrown back in my face, I can't shake this approach of being so cocksure about something. Anyone else?

I once spent an hour diagnosing non-functioning brake lights on a
car...wiring, fuses, switches, everything.  Everything, except
checking to see if both bulbs were working.  Couldn't have been that,
could it?  Both bulbs burned out?  Nah...

You learn from these things.  It's never too late to learn.

I've found that it helps to step back sometimes, maybe with pencil and
paper, and write down the steps to functioning of the system.  If
you've eliminated everything and it still doesn't work, then you
haven't eliminated everything.  Go over your list again...then slap
yourself on the forehead when you find it.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.