[Shop-talk] Stubbornness and the impediments to troubleshooting

Jim Franklin jamesf at groupwbench.org
Mon Apr 3 18:52:56 MDT 2017

A while ago I posted about my front loader overfilling. Got a bunch of tips on the operation of the pressure switch that determined water level.

Tested the switch, it worked fine. Looked at the hose routing, decided there's no way anything could rub or cause a hole. Upon reassembly it worked again.

Few weeks later the machine is overfilling again. Now I blow into the hose, rinse it with vinegar, nothing helps. I simulate pressure by blowing into a hose connected to the switch and the switch activates and filling stops.

Multimeter testing shows that not only is the switch not being activated under normal use, but there's no pressure building in the hose. I go through what I know will be the complete waste of time of removing the hose (it attaches to a funnel ("air chamber") and that installs in a side outlet of the main tub drain, bit of a pain to get to). Finally get the air chamber out and it looks fine. I pick up the hose and blow in it. Airtight.

While considering picking up the washer and throwing it across the room, I absentmindedly run my hands along the hose, when I feel something. A textbook half moon worn section that just breached the inside. It seals when in it's natural curved state but leaks if I bend it back opening the worn area.

No matter how many times my assumptions are thrown back in my face, I can't shake this approach of being so cocksure about something. Anyone else?

(I also broke the nipple off the air chamber trying to twist the hose off it. Punishment of some kind, I'm sure)

jim