[Shop-talk] amazon ..was Shop-talk Digest, Vol 8, Issue 44

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Tue Mar 25 05:14:02 MDT 2014

Actually, I've been buying and selling on Amazon for years.  Here is what
is happening.

Amazon wanted to ensure that it's CUSTOMERS (and NOT their vendors) are
well taken care of.  If you buy something from Amazon, you don't need any
reason to return the items for a full refund.  The sellers are the ones
that bear the costs.

Here is an example from real life...

A guys buys a brand new floppy drive from me.  He gets it, opens it, uses
it (more than likely he just needed it to read and old disk) then he
returns it to me.  I HAVE to give him 100% of his money back with shipping
(or Amazon will just take it from me without refunding my commission
payment to them.)  Now I have a used drive for sale.  8>(

Since I do sell many other items there, I don't mind taking a burn once
and a while.  But I can tell you that Amazon (AND ebay) will bend over
backwards for a buyer and pass all the costs to the seller.

Ebay is worst this way.  A guy bought a pool pump from me.  He didn't want
it months later (and never replied to my emails when I was trying to find
out why so I could resolve it.)  Then he just dropped it in a box with NO
packaging and mailed it to me.  I received a totally smashed up pump, I
even took pictures of everything.  Ebay's answer was that I needed to
refunded this entire purchase price!  (after multiple calls to ebay, I
finally found someone that looked at the facts and relized this guy was
the problem.  They credited my account for the money, but I still had to
issue the refund to the guy first!

Again, most buyers are good people, but some know the system and beat up
the sellers.  In your case, I would be surprised if Amazon didn't allow
you a full refund or another replacement at no cost.

Eric P
Waldo Emerson

"Karl Vacek" <KVacek at Ameritech.net>
Sent by: shop-talk-bounces at autox.team.net
03/24/2014 06:01 PM

<shop-talk at autox.team.net>
cc

Subject
Re: [Shop-talk] amazon ..was Shop-talk Digest, Vol 8, Issue 44

Thanks to all for pushing me to try the return.  I called them and got a
one-time exception to Amazon's 30-day return policy, thanks to a helpful
customer service representative.  The rep told me there may be a
restocking
charge, although he said he'd noted on the return approval not to charge
me.
Even if they charge me something, it's still better than throwing it out.

I've been a very loyal Amazon Prime customer for years, and have been
buying
whatever I can from them for their prices, service, and to save state
sales
tax.  However, a bad experience when I sold a book through Amazon a couple
months back has had me in a spitting contest with the seller side of the
company for 6 weeks now, and in that time I have vowed not to buy from
them
again.

This at least helps a little.

Thanks again for motivating me !