[Shop-talk] amazon ..was Shop-talk Digest, Vol 8, Issue 44

Karl Vacek KVacek at Ameritech.net
Tue Mar 25 08:47:47 MDT 2014

Eric, I can see your side here, but it's distinctly different from my
experiences.  As a casual seller, with 100% positive and complimentary
reviews from buyers and never a return or complaint, I feel screwed by
Amazon.

- Does Amazon publish their commission schedule somewhere?
- Do they allow you to determine your shipping charge?
- And do they require every seller to provide banking information rather
than mail them a check, keep the money in an Amazon account, or deposit the
payment to a credit card ?

I sold a $10 book plus Amazon's decreed $3.99 USPO Media Mail shipping -
total sale $13.99.  Actual USPO Media Mail shipping was $5.29.  A week after
the sale I received a notice that the buyer had received the book, and given
me 5 stars across the board with a nice compliment.  A few weeks later
Amazon then says they will pay me $4.28 as soon as I give them my banking
information.  They apparently make $4.42.  If I wait 3 months and close my
seller account, they'll send me a check.  Won't put the money on my Amazon
account, won't deposit it to a credit card even if I pay the fees.  Close
the account and wait.

I understand and appreciate Amazon's wanting to help customers, and more
than once "Amazon Partners" have burned me and ignored me or refused to help
after 5 or 6 emails, at which time I've gone to Amazon for help.  FWIW, I'll
only buy from Amazon directly if given a choice, and it it's an Amazon
Partner without at least 97% - 98% positive reviews, I'll pass.  The other
side of that is that I've sometimes gone directly to highly-rated partners
and bought directly.  If they're good to deal with, why should Amazon take
their profits?

I spent close to $4,000 on Amazon last year, between lots of little stuff
and a few big items.  But for now at least they've lost me.

Karl