[Shop-talk] Echo and Worx Trivac Blower/Mulcher/Vac - Model# WG500 ???

Karl Vacek KVacek at Ameritech.net
Sun Mar 9 16:14:54 MDT 2014

Brian and all -
I agree completely about not buying such things from Homely Despot.  I
indeed purchased from an old local dealer where I'd been buying Toro and
Snapper parts for ten years.  Maybe 20 mowers and tractors in their
showroom, and they've been there since the 70's at least.  Same two guys as
I'd always dealt with there sold me the blower and worked on it too.  They
sold me a 6-pack of Echo oil with the blower and told me it was mandatory to
use it (it's not), but never mentioned the fact that Echo voids the
warrantee if gas isn't at least 91 octane or less than 90 days old.  I took
it back to them for the warrantee work the first two times, each repair
taking from October till May, and then they refused to work on it again.
Echo's warrantee at that time was 2 years consumer and (I don't recall)
either 90 days or 1 year for commercial use.

I called Echo after my dealer refused to repair it near the 2-year mark and
my final warrantee service (a new short block) took place at a huge
Chicagoland landscape supply dealer that didn't sell me the tool.  Large
enough that there were 3 service writers.  That dealer has a 3' sign at eye
level in the service department notifying customers of Echo's fuel
requirements.  I've used the blower/vac about once a year since then (3
years?), and babied it each time.  So far so good.

I bought an Echo based on my near-bulletproof 1970 Echo blower that to this
very day has only had 2 sets of diaphragms in the carburetor and a rubber
fuel-tank grommet in recent years.  Obviously not the same product.

Karl