[Shop-talk] Worx Trivac Blower/Mulcher/Vac - Model# WG500 ???

Karl Vacek KVacek at Ameritech.net
Sun Mar 9 08:26:18 MDT 2014

I bought a handheld Echo blower-mulcher-vac about 6 years ago.  It was the
larger of two models offered, about $280 I think, but after debating it for
a year I took the plunge.  The idea is great.

This has nothing to do with WORX (which in my observation is a low-price
line of imitation equipment), but my theoretically top-quality Echo jams
constantly, on the small twigs that can't be avoided if you have trees that
drop leaves.  It has a die cast impeller (it was sort of sharp as new, but
dulled quickly), the rest is plastic.  Within the first hour twig jams had
broken the plastic impeller housing.  The dealer accused me of being a
landscaper and sucking up river rocks, but the only rocks here are in my
head for buying that POS.  He took all winter to fix it and told me my
2-year warrantee was over.

If I ever bought another one it'd have to either be dirt cheap (there are
Toro electric models on sale for $35 to $75 every year - is the Worx one in
that range?) or a really good machine.  Really good would have to include a
sharp steel impeller and a metal impeller surround to avoid the issues this
one exhibited.  I've never seen one like that though.

On the only good side, when I can get a pile of dry leaves without many
twigs, it makes great mulch for Jill's roses.

Karl