[Nobbc] TRs and big engines

Scott Irwin riprock99 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 19 20:49:09 MST 2010

Ouch, I just remembered the gearbox output shaft is different than
non-overdrive, and that there needs to be the shift control linkage that has
the switch to disable overdrive in all but 3rd and top gear.  OD in reverse
will damage the OD's one-way rotation bearing, and OD in 1st or 2nd can
cause over-revving on downshifts.  OD is almost mandatory for U.S. highways
though.  Also, a 3.89:1 diff is desirable if yours is 4.11:1.  The 4.11:1
inner axle shafts are smaller and can't handle the torque of the 1500 very
well.  I think I'll try to meet at the Cheese Factory tomorrow for a chat.

Scott