[Nobbc] TRs and big engines

Scott Irwin riprock99 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 19 19:08:39 MST 2010

Hi Rich,
  Don't ride with the club much, but I wanted to tell you I've done a
similar thing to my Spitfire.  You may want to consider sourcing a cyl head
from a Toledo.  These have larger valves than the Spitfire heads and go well
with the 9:1 pistons.  Also look very carefully at the space between cyl 2
and 3 on the head for erosion.  It's very small and a good spot to blow the
head gasket (voice of experience).  The symptom is no compression at all on
2 and 3, but also no fluid mixing.  You can mate a 1300 intake system with
dual 1.25 SU's OK, or find the home market dual 1.5 SU system, or weberise
the single carb manifold to good results.

 The overdrive will require a shorter driveshaft and a bit of tunnel removed
to get to the u-joint.  I used a shop in Santa Rosa to re-pipe my
driveshaft.  The speedo cable is also longer and uses a right angle adapter
off the tranny.  God luck with it all.

Scott
'65 Spitfire