[Nobbc] TRs and big engines

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 09:41:16 MST 2010

Hi Rich,
> Since I had the engine out I
> decided to rebuild it all.
Nice!
> All the engine bearings were shot as well as the
> pistons and cam. The head had an unusual burn pattern. cylinders 1&4 were
> running rich, 2&3 were lean. I thought this was strange since I only have one
> carb .
Are you running a Weber DGV? I have seen the pattern you mention in
siamesed heads like the MGB and others, including earlier MG and Triumph
products. Which engine do you have? If the head isn't siamesed, is your
intake manifold?
> Maybe it's a function of the intake manifold? I purchased a
> J-typeB overdrive transmission for $400, not a bad deal. I will tear that down
> next time I go up to my Dad's shop. The engine block and head have been taken
> to the machine shop. We are going to useB .030 overB European spec flat
> topB pistons. That will bump up the compression ratio from 7.1 to 9.1 and add
> a little HP to the mix as well.B  The main goal is to build a reliable engine
> with a little more power. We are balancing everything
Very nice!
>   and adding roller
> rockers too.

You probably know this, but for others thinking about roller rockers,
it's good to be very cautious about ratio, particularly if you are
changing piston configuration so there could be valve interference. Many
roller rockers have a higher than stock ratio...
> B  John Kenner has given me aB bonnet which I am modifying. I always thought
> it would look good with a hood scoop, so I've cutB itB out andB will be
> weldingB that soon.
How about the GT-6 long bulge? Very XKE-like.
>   I also want to move the headlights back farther in the
> fenders with the perspex lens covers like the Le Mans Spitfires of the
> '60s.B
Wow.
>   Not sure how to do that yet. I want to fill in the seams and smooth
> things out a bit too. The fender seam has always looked odd to me. It just
> dies into the door with no continuity to the rest of the body. B I will also
> be removing the bulky side marker/reflectors, and replacing them with 3/4"
> round LED markers with chrome bezels.B
Are you using LEDs for the turn signals, or just the running lights? If
turn signals, what will you be doing for matching flasher resistance to
the LED lights?
>   I am , however, keeping the original
> bonnet in tact.
>

> Have a great ride this weekend. Hope to see you all soon.
>
> Rich

Thanks, and have fun on the Spit.

Cheers,
Greg