[Nobbc] Update on Tech Session

Greg Tatarian gtwincams at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 19:49:47 MST 2010

Hi Mark,

Gear clashing is usually, but not always, the result of worn synchro
rings, but other causes are incorrect oil level or type, worn or bent
shift forks and/or rods, or banged up dog teeth on the gears or synchro
sliders (hubs). Rarely, a worn shift lever mechanism can be at fault.
Synchros are brass, soft, and meant to wear out. Sitting with old oil
can also cause them to corrode (or erode, really), as will using an
incorrect oil type with the wrong additives. Oils were pretty simple
compared to today...

It's been awhile since I drove an MGA and others on the list can answer
the question of how the shift should feel, but I have driven many MGBs,
including early 'boxes with no first gear synchro (so pretty much the
same as your "A" 'box). I never found a clashing gearbox that didn't
have some problem, and good gearboxes always shifted well and rather
precisely.

You can buy some time by either rev-matching when downshifting or double
de-clutching, but it's tougher if you are clashing going up from 2nd to
3rd. That usually demands a very slow shift and a throttle blip.

If no member in your area steps up to give your car a test drive I'll be
happy to do it. I'm in Santa Rosa, and have done many vehicle
inspections and test drives for prospective buyers.

Cheers,
Greg