[Nobbc] Need advice

gtwincams gtwincams at pacbell.net
Wed Oct 8 07:55:07 MDT 2008

Hi Rich,

Professionals usually have cool tricks they use, so maybe Dennis and/or
Robin will have some comments.

I didn't recommend the multi-spline type for the reason you noted - it
acts as a reamer on the soft brass. If this were my problem, I would
avoid drilling out the fitting, but would instead tap threads into it,
thread a bolt with permanent locktite into the new hole in the brass
fitting, and after it set up, try to extract it in that manner.

Why would I not drill and tap? at least three reasons; 1) because
drilling will create many small slivers of brass which will work
directly into your oil galleries, while threading, because of the slower
speed, might make control of the chips easier, 2) drilling squarely and
concentrically is difficult, and you might bite to far into the iron,
and 3), it would be best not to enlarge the hole in the block for the
oil switch.

In addition to your idea of removing the dizzy (presumably to vacuum out
brass chips) I would also remove the oil pressure relief valve from
directly beneath the oil switch hole, as well as the oil filter or
filter adaptor. While tapping, I would have a shop vac nozzle mounted to
the oil relief valve hole in an attempt to suck out chips, and I would
use the vac to try to draw chips from the oil gallery hole in the filter
boss.

If this doesn't work, you can always fall back on your plan, but you may
well find that you could drill the brass until it just gets thin,
without touching the iron threads, and it will loosen up enough to allow
it to be worked out with a dental tool or small pick.

The good news is that the path the oil takes under pressure is from the
pump, to the relief valve and oil switch, then to the oil filter, so it
is possible the brass chips will be captured by the filter before being
shot into your bearings at 70 psi., which would be a nice thing to avoid.

Cheers,
Greg