[Nobbc] Need advice

gtwincams gtwincams at pacbell.net
Tue Oct 7 18:05:54 MDT 2008

Hi Rich,
Ouch, that's a bummer. Starting with the obvious, was the easy-out you
used high-quality, not a Chinese one? If not, try getting a really good
US made tool. There are also a couple of profiles; square and
reverse-twist. Try them both. One trick is to use a reverse-twist type
with Locktite, get the tool to bite into the brass, and let it set up
before trying to extract.
Obviously, it would be a problem to try to drill or tap the brass, since
shavings will enter the block. Also, don't apply any heat to the brass
fitting - that will make it expand in the hole. You can, if you are
careful (watch out for gas, oil, etc.), apply a bit of heat to the block
about 1/2" around the fitting - that can help break loose the tight fit
between the threads of the block and fitting. Don't overdo the heat.
Good luck,
Greg Tatarian