[Mgs] Coughing, spitting, and dying

h.duinhoven at planet.nl h.duinhoven at planet.nl
Fri Apr 22 05:42:08 MDT 2022

New fuel filter?

Have carb cleaned.

Clogged jet(s)?

Cheers, Hans

Van: Mgs <mgs-bounces at autox.team.net> Namens Barrie Robinson
Verzonden: Friday, 22 April 2022 00:59
Aan: jimray at hartcom.net; mgs at autox.team.net
CC: MGB-V8 at autox.team.net
Onderwerp: Re: [Mgs] Coughing, spitting, and dying

My bet would be a 'soft' blockage in the fuel line

Cheers
Barrie

On 4/21/2022 2:56 PM, jimray at hartcom.net <mailto:jimray at hartcom.net>  wrote:

Have an 80 MGB V8 conversion that has developed a problem I can’t get my hands around. When cold it coughs and sputters when first starting up and when warm will not run at idle without stalling after several minutes. Thinking it might be an electrical issue, I replaced the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, coil, and battery. It has a PerTronix Ignitor module installed which I did not replace. The battery shows 12.7 volts on my meter. The alternator is producing 14.6 volts at ~1500 RPMs and 14.3 under load. Fuel is fed to an Edelbrock 1404 carburetor via a Facet electric pump with new filters in the line at the pump and just before the carburetor. I use 93 octane non-ethanol gas. I appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you may have.

Jim Ray