[Mgs] 72 MGB windows

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Tue Sep 7 01:18:47 MDT 2021

I second all of this with one exception.  I'm not aware of any alignment available for the quarter-light as the four bolts and screws pull it down onto the top of he door and forwards into the corner.  The only adjustment after that is at the bottom of the long leg to control how the Q/L tilts sideways to line up with the screen upright, which has little or no effect on the operation of the drop-glass.

The rear channel *is* adjustable, if it's not in close enough to the glass that could be allowing it to tilt and/or come out of the front channel, but if you press it in too far it makes the glass stiff to move.  Chewed Q/L channel runner is perhaps the most likely after that.

     I can not ascertain the cause of the problem from the pictures.  My experience has been that the glass must be snug enough in the guides so that it does not ‘rock’ as it moves vertically.
    The front guide is part of the vent window assembly. This is set first, set so that the vent window closes uniformly against the windscreen.  Once that is set, the rear guide is adjusted to snug the glass just enough for smooth movement.
     Once these are set so that the glass moves smoothly, you can reduce the friction a bit by a few short shots of silicone in the fuzz of the guides.
     And, while the door is open, put a drop of oil on each of the many pivots in the parallelogram linkage, and the winder shaft, and a bit of white grease on the winder gears.