[Mgs] Fuel pump failure

David Ambrose stargazer1 at cox.net
Thu Sep 24 10:34:23 MDT 2020

Hans,

I replaced my SU pump with a Facet, which sounds a lot like what you
have in your car now. I tried replacing the points in the SU pump, but
the diaphragm had gotten so stiff with age that it wouldn't pump any
more. The facet is noisy as hell and a mount with lots of Sorbothane
would be a very good thing, but it does work reliably. Be sure the one
you have is a low pressure (3 lb) variety. There are higher pressure
models that look just like the low pressure ones, and will happily
overflow your carburetters.

I was recently wondering if some kind of gear pump would be quieter.
Don't know if there are any suitable ones out there that wouldn't
require a fuel pressure regulator.

Cheers,
Dave