[Mgs] Fuel pump failure

Robert's New iPad mgbobh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 08:27:51 MDT 2020

Hans,
   Good on you for 50 years on the pump.  Into my 1972 GT, tomorrow, goes its third, as the second failed last week, at ten years and 25,000 miles.  I have never been successful with replacing diaphragm and points. Well, successful in that the pumps did not leak, but they would not pump.
    Installed in my GT is an auxiliary pump, wired to an unused rocker switch on the console. When the engine falters, moving the switch brings the auxiliary pump into service and engine runs well again.
   Running on the auxiliary pump, we drove in the CT Triumph Club’s British Reliability Run. 906 miles were added to my odometer.  All cars travelled reliably and successfully, except for one that had a Weber carb, when its throttle return spring broke.
Bob