[Mgs] Overheating MGB GT

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Sun Oct 25 03:05:09 MDT 2020

Unless you were really driving it hard the 7lb cap wouldn't have been a problem - if it IS holding 7lb, although the correct cap would be better.

If it took half a gallon to top it back up it must have been half empty.  The sludge could have been because insufficient coolant was boiling, but the question is where the coolant went since you last checked the level.  Either you have a coolant leak, or maybe a headgasket leak which is boiling it out.

In my experience the temp gauge rarely shows a problem when you are losing coolant from a system leak, unlike when the engine really is running hot and boiling coolant out that way, in which case I'd expect to see signs of that brown staining round the outlet from the rad over flow port or hose.  Head gasket leaks can result in significant temp gauge oscillation.

Timing?  I have my doubts.

  I have been having problems with my MGB GT running hot.  To start out with the simplest things first, I removed the radiator cap and found what you see in the picture.  Add to that it is a 7 psi cap.  My car is a 1969 which requires a 10 psi cap.  After running out two tanks of gas it took half a 50/50 mix antifreeze container to fill the system back up.  Checking the timing is next.