[Mgs] Overheating MGB GT

Robert's New iPad mgbobh at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 05:14:28 MDT 2020

    Is it known to be running hot because the gauge or a thermometer says so?
    In two tanks or running, assume 500 miles, the loss of two quarts is excessive, but you should not be boiling off that much even if the cap is rated below 10 psi.
   The look of that cap suggests corrosion and dirt in the engine and radiator.  Has the antifreeze protection been maintained in the last few years, the AF being changed every other year?
   You might consider driving around with the cap loose until engine is fully warmed, then putting a kitchen thermometer into the water.  Also, an infra-red thermometer used on the thermostat housing and in a pattern around the radiator will tell you something.
    From look of the cap, I suspect that there is sediment in the system and that radiator is partly blocked. Do this testing then we can evaluate the problem better.
Bob