[Mgs] Exhaust Sound

Max Heim mvheim at sonic.net
Fri Jul 31 10:44:41 MDT 2020

Ah, you see, that’s the case for the exhaust system as an expendable maintenance item — its location makes it vulnerable to road hazards. The fact that it will last 100 years does’t help if you wipe it out on a speed bump in three years.

I think the comment that stainless steel has a harsher sound than mild steel is also relevant.

But mainly, I’m too cheap to spend the money on something that isn’t an appearance or a performance item. In fact, the exhaust system on my car right now is a freebie cast-off from a local acquaintance who was “upgrading”. The local exhaust shop welded up a few holes and put in a new muffler for less than $100. In service since the early 90s.

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB