[Mgs] FW: LED instrument lights

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Thu Jul 9 01:36:13 MDT 2020

E10 are screw and were used originally, but a replacement harness for a 1980 came with T10 which are wedge.  E10 bulb holders are metal and only have one wire as they pick up the earth from the metal gauge case, T10 are plastic and so have an earth wire as well.

UK CB and RB gauges prior to 77 can all be reached from behind, unless you have hands like ham hocks.

CB indicator tell-tales are trickier as there is a strut behind them, that's not there on the RB, but as said I saw no reason to replace those unlike the gauges as I can see them even in the roadster top down in the sun.  The ticking is a bit of a give-away as well.

The 5050 E10 when used in my 75 V8 speedo just touched the innards, I could see the needle moving as I pushed the holder in, so I had to space it back a bit.

  No, there are many pitfalls including some "will fit MGBs" ones that are too long !!!  I was advised by a big Smith gauge outfit that I need T10s (Chinese speak) but that is not right as E10 seems to be what is needed.   I am pulling my dash to see what I have.   By the way if I pull the dash do I have to take off the steering wheel??   I just need room to replace bulbs.