[Mgs] Coolant draining on an MGB

David Councill dcouncill at karamursel.org
Thu May 9 09:54:28 MDT 2019

It has been a number of years since I have had the need to do a through cleaning and flush of the coolant system, my earlier 71BGT being one car in particular. So I am not sure how dated this is but there is or was a cleaning kit available at car parts stores that contained oxalic acid (crystalline form) that was poured into the radiator. Then the car was driven for 10-15 minutes, the coolant drained, and the system flushed. There was also a flush kit available from Prestone that introduces a tee in the heater to engine block hose that allows you to connect a water hose to it. With a hose connected and on, radiator cap removed, the system was flushed until the water was clear. I think the last time I used this method was on a Chevy S10 about 15 years ago.

David Councill

1964 MGB

1967 MGBGT

1972 MGB