[Mgs] Something to consider when you buy an oil filter for your MGB.

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Fri Jun 15 05:35:21 MDT 2018

For 30 years with one car and 24 with another, and a combined 160k miles in my ownership, I've never done anything other than pull the choke, switch on, and start up.  This includes after several days or even a month between runs, where the pressure takes longer to rise compared to overnight.  Oil pressures haven't changed during my ownership, and when I checked the shells on one of the cars after about 80k in my ownership, with an unknown number of miles before that, they were still at or just inside the tolerance for new bearings, with no signs of wear in the white metal.  That had been switched off after getting fully up to temperature, then left for a few days, and when I took the caps off the bearings and journals were smothered in oil, and it was dripping on me.

It just isn't a problem.  These cars are just not that delicate, they are basically tractor and lorry engines.  I suspect it's battery vendors that tell you to crank until you get oil pressure :o)

Having said that oil filters definitely DO vary - hugely, and the MANN 916/1 is my preferred filter, despite having a four-letter name.  Maybe you should have added "Beginning with 'F'" :o)

  First you crank the engine with the starter motor, then you wait until you get some oil pressure indication, and only then you pull out the choke lever to enable the engine to start.

  That way, you prevent unnecessary stress on the bearings etc., caused by the engine running with unsufficient lubrication.