[Mgs] Something to consider when you buy an oil filter for your MGB.

Bert Palte palte at gmx.net
Thu Jun 14 09:25:11 MDT 2018

No Q here, just wanting to share something to the list that may not be
common knowledge.

Back in the 80s, I’ve been looking for an MGB to buy.

Given a demanding job with not too much spare time, this really took
some time, about three yearsactually until I bought the 1970 B that I
still own now.

Think about it, no internet, so you had to rely on newspaper ads.

After driving a few hours on a Saturday morning to inspect an advertized
car, this resulted in many disappointments. There were not too many MGBs
around then in Holland.

(Nowadays many more, as many have been (re)imported from the USA).

I met a lot of interesting people then.

One older guy, who owned many classic sports cars, told me his vision on
how to start a sports car.

First you crank the engine with the starter motor, then you wait until
you get some oil pressure indication, and only then you pull out the
choke lever to enable the engine to start.

That way, you prevent unnecessary stress on the bearings etc., caused by
the engine running with unsufficient lubrication.

I think this made sense and have always done accordingly since.

However, I found that sometimes it takes a lot of time for the oil
pressure gauge to move away from the zero postion.

This depends, a.o. on what type of oil filter I used.

I found out that some filters have an anti-drain valve, whereas others
have not.

The ones with an anti-drain valve take (obviously) considerably less
time to get your oil pressure up.

The respective manufacturers’ website will give you the required
information.

In this part of the world, Mann W916/1 is an example of a cartridge that
has such an anti –drain valve and is readily available.

The more popular manufacturer with the four letter name has, afaik, not.

No financial interest, just a happy user, it is just an example.

Bert

1970 MGB

PA0LPS

SA4BRL