[Mgs] HIF Carb Hesitation

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Thu Jun 7 10:01:46 MDT 2018

This could be either initial enrichment or fuel delivery as you seem to have two symptoms.

You can check the damping for initial enrichment by unscrewing the cap, lifting it up, and pressing it back down.  You should feel significant resistance before the cap reaches the piston cover.

For fuel delivery remove the pipe from the front carb (it may spurt if the ignition has been on recently), direct it into a container, and switch on.  It should deliver a minimum of one Imperial pint per minute and in practice at least double that, in a continuous series of pulses with minimal bubbling.

Hesitation can also be caused by the earth wire inside the distributor having failed, and flat spots at higher speeds from an incorrect needle profile.