[Mgs] First drive

Max Heim mvheim at sonic.net
Mon Aug 6 10:49:49 MDT 2018

Not unexpected. I bled the brakes without a helper, which IME doesn’t quite do the job. I will probably have to enlist the spouse.

Yes, these are newly upholstered seats. They are the later style (1972, I think) with headrests and adjustable rake. I had a shop do them with the leather-faced “vintage style” Moss covers and all new foam (the seats came with the carcass but they were in wretched shape, with mouse-tainted foam). I think I will remove the squab and cut it (or have it cut) at an angle, leaving the full depth in the front and removing at least 1-1/2 inches at the back. The ancient beat-down squab in my old car provided a much lower seating position, but also failed to provide any thigh support. Otherwise I might just try swapping it in. I suspect the later seat is broader and deeper, however, and it would leave the cover loose and wrinkled.

Had a few little issues to deal with afterward.  Apparently I had not fully tightened the fitting to the oil pressure gauge, so I had some mop-up to do behind the dash. Glad I went with rubber floor mats. It would have been vexing to have to replace the carpet after 0.2 miles.

I also tightened the brake MC junction as I felt a drip on my leg.

Then I went ahead and installed the headlight trim rings. I had left them off to adjust the headlamp aim, but I really can’t do that on my property — I don't have a level surface aiming at a blank wall. So that will have to wait until it is licensed.

The only remaining items are the little brightwork triangles at the corners of the rear bumper — I neglected to install them before the bumper, and it doesn’t look like I can access the screws without removing it. This bumper needs replacing, anyway — chrome is seriously spotted and it has a definite twist.

And the front valance, which the paint shop lost. I need to drive it there to have a new one fitted, then they will paint it and I will have to pick it up later.

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB