[Mgs] MGB Question

Jack Wheeler jwheeler1947 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 2 07:34:39 MST 2017

I am in the process of rebuilding the engine in my 1971 MGB.  It has been a month or so since I took it apart, and my memory is a little fuzzy on exactly what went where, etc.
On the back end of the camshaft, there is a groove around the cam, about 1/4" from the end of the cam.  Can someone tell me if there is a reason for this groove?  Does an 'O' Ring or something ;like that go in the groove?  Is there anything else that goes on the back end of the cam?  It looks like once the rear plate is in place, there will be a fairly large hollow area around the back end of the cam.  I assume that any oil accumulating in this hollow area will eventually drain back to the sump.  Is there anything else that goes into this hollow area?
Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Jack Wheeler