[Mgs] thermistor

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Wed Jun 7 03:00:32 MDT 2017

A thermistor will normally give a resistance that varies with heat, and
needs some threshold device to switch a relay or fan.  Without the threshold
device relay operation can be erratic, or switch on and off repeatedly.  The
threshold device causes the relay to switch on cleanly at a given
temperature, and switches it cleanly off again a few degrees lower.  The
other advantage of the threshold device is that as long as a thermistor has
the usual fan operation temperature of typically 90C within its normal
operating range the point at which the fan cuts it and out can be adjusted
with a variable resistor.

Factory systems use a bi-metal contact that pings closed at a given
temperature, and pings open a few degrees lower, to give a clean electrical
signal to either fan or fan relay.

I was using a thermistor on my radiator to sense temperature and then ground
a relay to turn on a fan.  After 25 years, it doesn’t trigger the fan and I
can’t find the notes for the specs.   Anyone using a similar set up who
might have a part number for one that might work?   I mounted it on engine
side of the radiator...