[Mgs] Fw: MGB Question

David Councill dcouncill at karamursel.org
Wed Jan 11 09:32:38 MST 2017

To add to these replies, which I agree with, it does depend on how you want to use the car. I faced a similar scenario with my 72B’s rebuild about ten years ago. Although it is an 18V engine block, I went with HC +0.060 pistons that I acquired from the UK (ebay dealer mechspec who also has an Internet site). This put the compression ratio around 9:1. I also used a 270 cam. I did not modify the head except to have hardened seats installed. I was looking for increased performance while maintaining the car as a driver. I was hesitant to increase the compression ratio too much as that would make it harder to find fuel for it, particularly in rural areas. This was based on previous experience – with my first MGB, a 1965 B, I installed an engine with a 10:1 compression (as I recall but it could have been higher, this was several decades ago). It was a fast car but back then, when leaded fuel was still available, I sometimes had problems finding a high enough octane fuel and in those cases, the car would keep running after I turned the ignition off. I don’t recall the octane back then but where I live now, the highest octane rating I can find locally (within a 30 mile or so radius) is 93 at two stations, 91-92 is typical for the rest.

David Councill

67 BGT

64 B

72 B