[Mgs] Carbs still being nasty

Eric J Russell ejrussell at mebtel.net
Wed Dec 28 12:53:07 MST 2016

> I have no idea which kind of SU's I have. This is on a 62A. How am I to
> tell?

Original MGA carbs are H4. It is also possible for them to be replaced by
MGB carbs - HS4 or HIF4. (HS = H type, seperate float chamber, HIF = H type,
internal float chamber, the number 4 is a measure of the throat diameter - 1
inch plus 4 eighths of an inch - 1 1/2"). Pictures of many SU carbs are
available on Joe Curto's website: http://joecurto.com/carburetor-library

For almost anything knowable about the MGA (and most of it also applies to
the MGB) see Barney Gaylord's MGA Guru Tech Pages.
http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/

For info about the MGA's H4 carbs see:
http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/carbs/carb.htm
For tuning info: http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/carbs/cb130.htm I like the
little tool kit shown there. I also have an SK Synchrometer (measures air
flow). After using the pointers to synch the carb I've used the synchrometer
to double check and always found it spot-on.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC