[Mgs] OT - F1 (besides, its too quiet here

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Sat Jan 17 07:44:31 MST 2015

I didn't see the reasoning behind Honda not having the same development opportunities as everyone else, so if they now do then I see no problem.

Increased frequency of TV commercials (ugh) is surely a sign of increased TV audience, isn't it?  Emptying grandstands may just be a sign of increasing consumer resistance to pricing.  I see Silverstone's director wants to reduce prices, saying they have been far too high.  Other commentators have said that the quieter engines have brought a wider audience, families with children, as there is less risk of harm to their hearing.  I have not been able to understand the fuss and complaints about them being less noisy.

As for Ferrari, a documentary on John Surtees this week described how as a Ferrari driver he was given an untested car at Sebring (I think) at the last minute over his planned car, as the team manager wanted an Italian to win.  In the event Surtees still won, despite being partly poisoned by exhaust fumes.  The team manager then raised an objection saying he hadn't done enough laps, but was overruled as Surtees's wife's lap charts coincided exactly with the organisers.  Was ever thus.

A superb season last year, the best for many.  I hadn't been so keyed up as for that last race since probably the 80s.  I hope the commentators grow up a bit though and don't try to blow the competitiveness between Hamilton and Rosberg out of all proportion like they did last year.