[Mgs] Your Experiences, Comments, Suggestions

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Thu Feb 26 09:27:16 MST 2015

Hi Ron,  It is a good time of the year to start this project.  Where I am, in CT, no shops seem to want to re-arch. I have heard good things about John Twist's work.  World Wide Automotive, Peter Caldwell, is preferred by most in our club.  Be sure you need to turn drums-metal removed can not be replaced, and small ridges are not problems. If drums are scored, turning may be needed, but don't rush to do this unless needed.    We have done this axle work at club tech sessions. This price seems fair enough, though. In another 60,000 miles or so, you will find that thrust washer R&R is easily done oneself.
  Many prefer the nylon strap rebound straps to rubber. They were not available last time I replaced, but I will try them next time.   Poly bushings are a nice improvement. Moss used to caution, and may still, that they add to noise in the cabin. I used them and found no difference inside my GT.   Emergency brake cables etc--take plenty of pictures, and be sure to compare to the workshop manuals.  These are frequently found scrambled, and I have even seen a car where rear brakes were installed on the wrong side. If the cable moves as smooth as new, OK to use again, but if in doubt, buy new, grease it and grease it again before installation.  It works far better than its reputation, when installed, adjusted and maintained. Watch the linkage carefully--the bits are similar in appearance and easy to get wrong. If they are found to be correct when you disassemble, you might prick-punch mark them instead of using paint pen or markers.  Enjoy the project.Bob