[Mgs] MGA front suspension interrogatory

Eric J Russell ejrussell at mebtel.net
Sat Aug 8 13:50:20 MDT 2015

> I am in the process of re-installing my front suspension and have a couple
> of questions. As the upper link goes in I am supposed to tighten
> ultimately until there is around .003 in end play.
>
> When tightening all of the castellated nuts at the swivel pins and the
> lower arms to chassis pins how tight are the nuts to be tightened.
>
> Also, the swivels spun around with great ease before tightening and
> inserting swivels between arms. However, the installed unit seems to bind
> when rotating the around the swivel pins now.

The MGA Guru will have some info to help:
http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/suspensn/susp1.htm

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29224
Referring to the sketch from Moss Motors: the play for the links is due to
the distance tube (#21) being slightly longer than the swivel link with
bushing (#7 & 10). I have read about some replacement parts that were made
incorrectly - the distance tube not being the correct length.

Sometimes it is necessary to loosen the cross-bolt in the upper A-arm (shock
link) in order to easily install the upper swivel link.

The kingpins have a central area with smaller diameter - this is for the
distance tubes (#21) to pass through. If the swivel links are turned in too
far or too little the distance tubes will foul the kingpin when it is
rotated. Make sure you have them centered about this section on the
kingpins.

The suspension nuts are tightened 'tight enough'. I suppose there is a
torque measurement but in reality they are large nuts/threads and if you can
break them using hand tools then they were defective and it was good they
broke in your garage! It is important that they be tightened with the weight
of the car on the suspension - tires on the ground/bounce it a few times to
settle everything in a neutral position - then do the final tightening. If
needed, tighten them a little more to allow the cotter pin to be inserted.

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC