[Mgs] MGA front suspension interrogatory

Clayton Kirkwood crk at godblessthe.us
Sat Aug 8 11:09:46 MDT 2015

I am in the process of re-installing my front suspension and have a couple
of questions. As the upper link goes in I am supposed to tighten ultimately
until there is around .003 in end play. With the rubbers on I assume it has
to be a  feel fitting? However, it took all my persuasion to even get the
endcaps, hardened washers and link between the arms on the top. There is no
way to have any endplay. What to do? The lower swivel should have a similar
endplay but the tightness seems more to do with the tightness of the lower
arms to the bottom plate? What to do?

When tightening all of the castellated nuts at the swivel pins and the lower
arms to chassis pins how tight are the nuts to be tightened. I know on the
lower arms, the bushes are to be equally compressed, which is kind of hard
to achieve, but how tight is tight enough?

Also, the swivels spun around with great ease before tightening and
inserting swivels between arms. However, the installed unit seems to bind
when rotating the around the swivel pins now. There is nothing that should
be binding this rotation other than perhaps the rubber boots covering the
inside of the links as it rotates through a rough exterior wall of the
swivel pin itself. Am I doing something wrong?

TIA,

Clayton