[Mgs] B/GT light switch -- now heater/defroster

Carr&Edwards scvc70 at epix.net
Thu Mar 13 20:30:44 MDT 2014

Non-working heater controls were something else I've been dealing with --
much easier to do with the driver's seat out so you can lie on the floor in
relative comfort!

The cable stop on the temperature control cable wasn't tight enough to keep
the wire from slipping through it when the knob was turned, so knob movement
had no effect on the valve on the engine block.  Two people are needed for
this fix--one to watch the valve movement, the other to turn the knob and
tighten the cable stop at the right spot.

The car's heater/defroster control had lost its cable stop--but installing a
new one didn't help matters any; I could barely move the knob with the cable
connected.  Removal of the little hood on the side of the tunnel that
deflects air downward at the feet let me see why:  the metal flap that
changes the air direction when the knob is turned was so rusty that I could
move it only with a screwdriver as a lever.  The only way to access this
flap to clean/lubricate it is to take the entire heater out -- which I just
don't feel like doing!  We never drive the car when it's bitter cold anyway
(far too much salt on the roads here), so I just set everything to "OFF" and
will leave it that way.

Sarah Carr
'71 B/GT in PA