[Mgs] OT - F1

Max Heim mvheim at sonic.net
Wed Jan 29 11:00:15 MST 2014

Unfortunately, automotive technology has far outstripped the capacity for
building appropriate commercially-viable circuits. The major limiting factor
for F1 is that the cars are required to run at Monaco and other traditional
circuits (despite Bernie's attempts to move the entire series to Asia, this
is unlikely to change). An otherwise unlimited formula, even with an
arbitrarily small displacement limit for engines, would produce cars so fast
they would require a new generation of tracks, with immense runoff areas for
safety (and very few viewpoints for spectators).

So some kind of restriction is needed to slow the cars down. Lately they
have felt the need to add further artificial constraints in the interest of
encouraging on-track passing (deliberate tire degradation, KERS, DRS zones,
ever-changing rules regarding diffusers).

Personally, I would be inclined to take a different approach. I would ban
all attached aerodynamic devices, while retaining the mandated flat bottoms.
No wings, fins, exhaust diffusers or odd-shaped extrusions. I'd also go back
to designing tires for grip rather than planned self-destruction. By
shifting the emphasis to mechanical grip rather than downforce, it would
place a premium on driver skill, and make overtaking easier by reducing the
sensitivity to "dirty air".

I would also reinstate in-season testing, and increase the tire supply. The
current limitations on both do nothing to reduce costs, they just increase
the advantage of the richer teams with more supercomputers for simulation.

IMNSHO...

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149