[Mgs] testing a generator from a 62 mga

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Tue Jan 21 01:30:51 MST 2014

FWIW (now in the shop noted) the implication there is that the field winding
is faulty.  This should measure 6 to 6.3 ohms as you say, but the book says
the reading has to be 'much' below 6 ohms to suspect broken down insulation.

Did you test for continuity between the two brushes i.e. through the
armature, while turning it slowly by hand?

When the commutator wears the insulators between the segments becomes flush
with the segment surfaces, instead of recessed.    It sounds like that
hadn't happened with yours.

I hope your $65 fixes it, regardless of the cause or the fix they apply!