[Mgs] testing a generator from a 62 mga

Clayton Kirkwood crk at godblessthe.us
Mon Jan 20 10:03:39 MST 2014

Well, I did as you suggested: I connected the two terminals, clamped a volt
meter to one terminal and ground. Spun up a drill attached to the pulley
nut. Reversed the spin just in case it made a difference. No matter, I
couldn't get more than a few tenths of a volt.

Took the beasty apart. One carbon brush wouldn't move so I got it out and
gently sanded it down a little so that it slid in and out properly hoping
this was the problem. Read in the manual that the field coil should read
between 6 and 6.3 ohms. I got 5.8. Doesn't seem like much but could this be
part of the problem. I cleaned out the spaces between the raised metal of
the commutator and what ever is under the carbon brushed. Turned the drill
on and no difference.

Hard to believe that the problem is the ohm reading difference on the field
coil. Doesn't look like there is anything else to check. Yes I did clean the
spades.

Any more insight?

TIA,

Clayton