[Mgs] Securing series 26 battery in the MGB

Max Heim mvheim at sonic.net
Wed Apr 30 14:07:25 MDT 2014

OK, here's my idea, FWIW.

Instead of j-bolts, fabricate a flat hook using bar stock; say, 1/2 x 1/16
mild steel. Cut away two corners at one end to make a 3/16" wide tab, about
1/4" long, and bend that at a right angle to the bar. This would be the hook
that goes into the existing holes. The bars would be be positioned roughly
vertically (adjusted to clear battery cables, etc.) and extend whatever
distance above the battery top was required (say 1").

Then bend the top of the bar inward at right angles, to capture the top of
the battery (leave some slop for positioning). Then bend the end of that
section at right angles in the opposite direction, so that it sticks up
vertically again. Drill a hole in the center of this vertical tab.

Secure the battery by connecting something between these two holes (in the
two flat hooks): a short bungie, a length of baling wire, or more elegantly,
threaded rod cut to length with a wing nut on each end.

All dimensions are approximate -- I haven't measured anything yet -- just
going by my memory of the situation. I will say that the depth of the hook
portion and of the bendover at the top will need to be carefully considered
in order to enable slipping the hook in alongside the battery, without
creating an intractible order of assembly problem.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149