[Mgs] HIF's

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Sat Apr 19 01:54:06 MDT 2014

Well, both my HSs and both my HIFs clearly clunk when the pistons are raised
and dropped using the lifting pins, dampers in place.

As long as the lock-nut holds the screw tight, without it jumping threads,
then I wouldn't do any more.  If it does jump threads then yes you do need a
larger screw and lock-nut.

  I removed the dampers and did get the clunk, although with the dampers in I
didn't. Go figure.

  Evidently the cause was the idle screw clinch nut on the back carb came
loose and under 30 minutes of constant highway speeds the idle screw rotated
downwards about 5 turns causing the butterfly to remain open.

  The rear carb idle screw is fairly loose when the clinch nut is loose. Is
this common or should I retap and put a slightly larger screw/bolt in?