[Mgs] HIF's

Monte Jane Morris montejane at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 09:34:40 MDT 2014

I removed the dampers and did get the clunk, although with the dampers in I
didn't. Go figure.

Anyhow, the carbs are back on and the "cruise control" is now fixed.  I
figured I would need to readadjust something besides the idle when the
carbs went back on but I didn't touch anything else and it is running
excellent again.

Evidently the cause was the idle screw clinch nut on the back carb came
loose and under 30 minutes of constant highway speeds the idle screw
rotated downwards about 5 turns causing the butterfly to remain open.

The rear carb idle screw is fairly loose when the clinch nut is loose. Is
this common or should I retap and put a slightly larger screw/bolt in?

As always, many thanks to you list members who helped diagnose the problem.
I don't have to "resemble a mechanic" if I have you guys around:).

Monte
79B owner since 2001. Former 67B and 68B owner starting in 1972.