[Mgs] MGB handbrake

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Wed Apr 16 03:40:46 MDT 2014

Not much to go wrong at the diff.  The compensation lever points up, and its
spacer tube should be free to move back and fore on the bolt or pivot when
things are tightened up.

There is a clamp bolt between the two halves of the lever to clamp the
trunnion that is part of the cable.  The long cable goes straight on to the
left-hand wheel, and the short cable from the trunnion comes back to the
right-hand wheel.

You can see pictures of the upper part of the compensation lever here
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/handbrake.htm#2

Bear in mind there are two handbrake cables depending on whether you have a
wire wheel axle or a stud wheel axle.  Note that as wire-wheel hubs can be
fitted to stud wheel axles and vice-versa, looking at the wheels is not good
enough, info here http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/axlelen.htm

The greatest scope for error comes with the levers inside the drums, and the
shoes.  The levers are handed, and there are 'early' and 'late' versions,
the same part numbers for both banjo and Salisbury axles.  However, when
fitted to the Salisbury axle they go on opposite sides to when they are
fitted to the banjo.  On the Salisbury, which I assume you have, the short
bar that goes through the back-plate should be above the long bar that goes
between the shoes.

There seems to be a gotcha on some replacement levers where they are too
long, and foul the rear shoe.

As for the shoes when the car is moving forwards, a point on the drum should
go over the 'empty' section of the shoes before it reaches the friction
material.  That's both shoes, both sides.

Info on back-plate levers and shoes here
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/rearbrakes.htm.