[Mgs] Alternate alternator for 71 MGB? Now belt squeal.

Bob Donahue bobmgtd at comcast.net
Sun Apr 13 15:18:59 MDT 2014

I purchased the modified Delco-Remy CS130 from Paradise Parts, and it was a
pretty good fit after a little tinkering. I had to purchase a slightly longer
belt and file the slot in the tensioning arm a little longer. The new
alternator puts out a steady 14 volts, even at idle with the headlights on.
(Lucas never could do that!)

I'm having some trouble with belt squeal though. Belt dressing has mediated
the problem, but I'm afraid this is a temporary fix. My new belt is a Gates XL
7365. This is a V belt like the old one, but the taper of the V is wider. I'm
thinking that the belt doesn't exactly fit the profile of the pulleys. Can
anyone recommend a better belt?

Bob Donahue (Still Stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd at comcast.net
Cars:       52 MGTD - #17639