[Mgs] Cruise control!!!

Monte Jane Morris montejane at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 20:05:55 MDT 2014

Damnedest thing happened to me yesterday. 20 miles into a drive, I noticed
that I wasn't decelerating when letting off the accelerator going down
hills. I was "idling" at 3000 rpm (60 mph) like I had cruise control.
Coming into a town, I had to use neutral, the handbrake, and turn the
ignition switch on and off to get into a parking lot. Checked the throttle
cable and it seemed OK; a small amount of play and still cinched OK (the
cinch cable nut had NOT slipped) at the carb end and the accelerator pedal
on the other. The throttle spindle was rotated to where it should be at
idle, but still idling at 3000 rpm.

I drove it back home 30 miles (the last 5 on gravel with many 90 degree
turns, yipps!) with creative use of the ignition, neutral, and handbrake
once again. Coasted into the garage bay.

This is the first time this has ever happened to me in 3 MGBs over many
years of driving. I'm sure the main cause was that I was bragging to a
friend ONLY THE DAY BEFORE,  that it had become a very dependable car after
getting rid of the electronic ignition many years ago:).

Suggestions as to where I start to look?