[Mgs] Bonus noise lossage

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Fri Apr 11 21:52:29 MDT 2014

So here's a lesson I've learned. When you think your gearbox is making a
terrible amount of noise, make sure it's not the axle.

Last year, I had a lot of sound vibrating right up into the shifter, which
would "go away" if I rested my hand upon said shifter. I figured a gearbox
overhaul was in my future.

But I also had the previously mentioned diff clunk, so I fixed that first.
I've since noticed two distinct classes of noisy driving:
 * at speeds below about 40, the dominant sound is engine and exhaust notes
(also known as "wheee!")
 * at speeds above about 40, the dominant sound becomes the wind rushing past
(also know as "faster!")

I think my gearbox might be just fine. Fortunately, I got the order of fixes
right.

I didn't realize how bad it wa; this year's spring re-introduction to driving
the MG has been one of the best I've enjoyed in years.

--
Aaron