[Mgs] Cleaning HIF carbs

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Thu Apr 10 09:11:29 MDT 2014

A bit of a pain with HIFs, as it's tricky getting to the float chambers
without removing the carbs, and really you need to replace the O-rings once
you have done so.  In theory, if the float chambers are full of fuel, the
float should be raised and the float valve shut.  So if you remove the air
cleaners, lift the piston by hand, and blow in the overflow/vent port, fuel
should bubble up from the jet.  If you can blow straight from the inlet to
the vent and vice-versa, piston fully down, there is no fuel.

The other way is to check the plugs after cranking on and off for 30 secs or
so.  At the very least the plugs should smell strongly of fuel.  They may be
wet i.e. flooded.  If dry and no fuel smell then no fuel is getting through
to the cylinders.

By the way, don't 'guess' you have spark at the plugs, prove it!