[Mgs] Cleaning HIF carbs

Steve Shoyer steve at shoyer.com
Thu Apr 10 08:36:12 MDT 2014

Well, I tried to start my 1980 MGB yesterday.  The battery had been plugged
in, so it turned over, but the engine wouldn't start.  I drained the gas
tank and put in some fresh fuel, but the engine still didn't start.  The
fuel pump seems to be working OK; I disconnected the fuel line from the
carbs and ran some gas through the line, and it was flowing.  I tried a few
shots of starter spray and the engine caught, briefly, but that was all I
got.  I'm guessing that I've got spark and compression, so I think the carbs
are clogged.  Is there an easy way to test this and clean the carbs without
removing them from the intake manifold?  I've converted the car to use two
HIF-4 carbs.  I'm trying to avoid removing the carbs for two reasons: I'm
basically lazy, and once I have the carbs off I don't want to use it as an
excuse to buy the Moss supercharger.

Thanks!

--Steve